Monday, July 4, 2011

The Flip-flop Squattie Incident

When I woke up today my calf muscles were screaming. I could barely walk. Since heels were out of the question I decided to wear my black flip flops, which can appear dressy when matched with the appropriate clothing.

Of course it was one of those days where I absolutely had to use the bathroom while at school. I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to manage a squat toilet when I could barely bent my legs to walk, but I didn't have much choice. It wasn't graceful and my balance was worse than usual but I managed. Until the end when I lifted my foot to press the flush pedal and my sudden onset lack of coordination brought my foot under the pedal, pushing my sandal off my foot and...

right into the squat toilet.

I stared horrified at the scene before me, perched on one foot I didn't know what to do next. Thankfully the sandal had landed upright along the edge, only half submerged, and I was able to carefully lift the shoe out. Having little choice I brought my bare foot down to the floor making a mental note to thoroughly sanitize my foot as soon as I got home. Using my other sandaled foot I pushed the flush pedal, rinsing the sandal off in the flood of clean water. With the contaminated footwear still in hand I hobbled out to the sink area, again rinsing the sandal and using a tissue to dry the foot surface off. I smothered a large glob of hand sanitizer over the surface and then, cringing only slightly, slipped my foot back into the sandal and went on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment